VOCATUS ATQUE NON VOCATUS, DEUS ADERIT

Thursday, February 25, 2010

I'm Not Religious, I'm Spiritual

Dear Malady and Purl -
I, too, have now read the introduction to An Altar in the World. I had to laugh when I read the very first sentence: "If I only had a dollar for every time someone told me, 'I'm a spiritual person, not a religious person.'" I tell others that same thing ALL THE TIME!

Malady, you mentioned Taylor's emphasis on finding the divine in everything we do, no matter how small or insignificant. You also alluded to how difficult it is to maintain that kind of awareness when you're grinding through your day. I absolutely agree.

I think I tell people I'm a spiritual person because I long for meaning and connection. I look for meaning and connection in other people. I look for them in objects. Being an outdoor person, I especially look for them in nature. In fact, I fully expect to find God when I'm nature and am a little bummed out when I don't find Him (or Her, as the case may be) in beautiful outdoor places. What's up with that, anyway?

About a month ago, I woke up early when I heard the train pass by our house about a half mile away. Trains go by all the time and I'm so used to them now that I rarely wake up when they pass. But there was something different about this train. Or this particular time. I woke up hearing the train and feeling at complete peace. I could feel my weight on the bed. The sound of the train was crystal clear. My mind was calm and quiet. I felt happy for no particular reason. I think God was with me.

I rarely have this kind of sensation, as my mind is active, fretting, or engaged in some other distraction at nearly every moment of the day. For me, peace is one of those elusive and divine qualities I wish I experienced more of in my everyday life. I cherished this moment with the train.

I'm looking forward to this book.

Love,
Gary

No comments: