VOCATUS ATQUE NON VOCATUS, DEUS ADERIT

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Paying Attention

Dear Malady,
I enjoyed the many fine examples Taylor uses in Chapter 2 about paying attention. I was struck, however, by how she closed this section. She just said you need a willingness to pay attention, but I really believe that you need to be in a good place to really pay attention as Taylor describes the act.

If you're not in good health, or have marital problems, or are stressed-out at work, it becomes exceedingly difficult to have the degree of awareness Taylor talks about. I'm not sure you can simply "will" yourself to do it. I think most of us struggle with enough stuff that we're not able to pay attention. But perhaps I should only speak for myself.

In my own life, it has only been after correctly dealing with chemical imbalances and learning how to recognize my feelings in everyday situations that I've been able to "pay attention." Paying attention would have been impossible for me without outside help. I cannot think of any specific "paying attention" examples from my own life at this time.

This chapter fell kind of flat for me. I'm curious to know what you thought of it.

Love,
Gary

4 comments:

Gary said...

test

Amy M. said...

I'm a little behind in my reading but I wanted to address this. I think you are absolutely right. It can be very hard sometimes to "pay attention" when life or other physical problems are barriers. She makes it sound easier said than done. Still, it is something I want to strive for and even if I don't completely succeed I hope that I will at least try to slow down and notice things around me a bit more.\

-A

Gary said...

You're right, Amy. Nothing but good can come from striving for a heightened awareness. I'm sure Taylor was in a good place when she wrote this book. I would have done it, too, had I been feeling so expansive.

I still feel like this was an excellent choice for a book to read together. Thanks again for getting the ball rolling.

Bubble My Licorice said...

amazing post :)
your blog is lovely!!

http://bubblemylicorice.blogspot.gr/