VOCATUS ATQUE NON VOCATUS, DEUS ADERIT

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Introduction to AN ALTAR IN THE WORLD

Dear Gary and Purl--
I just finished reading the introduction to Barbara Brown Taylor's AN ALTAR IN THE WORLD and I am so excited! This sounds like just the book I need. Although it is a simply premise, it seems groundbreaking to find a book on faith that focuses on the sacredness of daily life.  How we can find the sacred in the baking of bread, giving birth to children, making love to our partners and going through the processes of daily living. I am really looking forward to seeing what she has to say. 

This dovetails really well with what I have started reading in Baron Baptiste's 40 DAYS TO PERSONAL REVOLUTION.  I thought I was just picking up a guide to meditation and yoga but I have been surprised how Baptiste mentions Jesus in almost every chapter. Since this book focuses on bodily practices, I think it will be an excellent companion to Taylor's book.  A good start to Lent all around.

-Malady

1 comment:

Gary said...

I'm glad you're finding inspiration in both of these books, Malady. We should cherish (as much as possible) each moment in our lives, so I'm looking forward to reading about Taylor's own experiences and suggestions she might have for building a new attitude within our own lives.

I know you've struggled to find physical exercise that resonates with you, so I'm hoping Baptiste's book does the trick. It's wonderful when you find activities that fill more than one part of your life. It increases the chances that you'll stick to it!

You're off to a great start to Lent!