VOCATUS ATQUE NON VOCATUS, DEUS ADERIT

Monday, February 4, 2008

BLUE LIKE JAZZ Week One

One of the characteristics of Generation X has often been described as "a need for fulfillment." We look to be "fulfilled" in all aspects of our lives from our jobs to our relationships. This need spills over into religion as well. I think many Generation X-ers who were raised within a religious system became disillusioned with it during their high school and college years. We experienced a "disconnect" between what we were being taught in church and what we were living in the "real world." Sometimes, religion was just too inconvenient. It sometimes appeared to lack relevance.

I think Donald Miller does an excellent job of describing this disillusionment and the failure of Christianity for many individuals of our generation. So much of his story rings true for me. I hope it will for you as well.

We'll begin our journey on Ash Wednesday. The first day of Lent. I would like us to try and read the first three chapters before February 13. That should get us through most of Donald's earlier experiences with religion. I look forward to hearing your thoughts!!!!

2 comments:

Gary said...

Good fodder for thought, A. I've had many similar experiences to those you described. I'll get to work on the first three chapters and report back.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the assignment and introduction. My book arrived yesterday, so I will be ready to start tomororw.

I have had similar experiences, too. Will report back soon.