VOCATUS ATQUE NON VOCATUS, DEUS ADERIT

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A Lenten Challenge

Hello my friends!

It is hard to believe that Lent is almost upon us. I can't believe that Ash Wednesday is on February 6!

I did not grow up with the tradition of giving something up for Lent. No one really did that in my church. I was always fascinated when others did it. When I grew up, I decided that it would be more productive for me to ADD something to my routine rather than give something up. The addition would be something specifically religious. My church has a Lenten book club every year. The entire congregation reads the same book together and our services during Lent use themes from the current book. This year, we are using a Lenten devotional. I will definitely use the devotional but I decided that wasn't enough.

I would like to encourage you to read BLUE LIKE JAZZ with me for Lent this year. I will post weekly "assignments" to keep us on task and then we'll discuss what we have read. We'll start on Ash Wednesday. I hope you'll join me!!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What a wonderful idea! I grew up with the tradition of giving things up; this year I would like to challenge myself to add something.

I will definitely read along with you. I've been interested in this book since you first suggested it.

Gary said...

I was so excited to see a new post here! Amy, I like your idea of adding something to your routine rather than giving something up. You know, I am going to that, too. I'm giving it some thought and I'll let you and Purl know what it turns out to be.

Yes, count me in for the Blue Like Jazz reading project. I'm all set to go as a dear friend gave me a copy for Christmas. I'll keep an eye out for our first homework assignment.

Unknown said...

I ordered the book from Amazon on Wednesday and hope it gets here soon. I am so looking forward to this!

Amy M. said...

Hooray! I'm glad you guys are excited!!!

-M